We will never forget the year 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic and quarantine changed everything. It changed how we work, how we learn, how we shop, how we engage with one another, and how we communicate.
Change isn’t always bad though. In a good way, it’s made us better communicators. We’ve become more clear and effective communicators that get things done from home.
As we reflected on the year, we had a little fun and compiled a list of the most commonly used or entertaining phrases we’ve heard during the shift to online communication and video meetings.
- Can you see my screen?
- If you’re not talking, can you please mute?
- Is everyone here that’s supposed to be here?
- Can you hear me?
- Oh man, my cat just knocked my coffee over. Hold on.
- Sorry, the garbage truck is driving by.
- You’re on mute.
- ….Sorry I was on mute and forgot.
- Cool background! Looks kinda real.
- Hold on, let me grab my charger before my computer dies.
- Can you repeat that? Your connection went out.
- Is your wi-fi acting weird today too?/My wi-fi is really slow today.
- I’ll send a new invite link.
- Sorry, my dog is barking.
- My camera isn’t working.
- Excuse me, keep talking, I’m just grabbing water/coffee.
- Whoever is in charge of this place needs to supply better snacks. Oh wait, that’s me.
- *Nothing* because it was an all-staff/big meeting and was there to listen.
- This is my “dressed-up” T-shirt.
- I am going to share my screen now.
If you have said all 20 of these sayings then congrats, you have experienced virtual working in 2020 to the fullest.
Although we are sure these sayings will continue to be said in 2021, we hope they are few and far between.
Here’s to 2021 being better than 2020!